Friday, January 22, 2010

Flowers In Bloom


This card has me reminiscing back to when I first started making cards.  You will laugh hysterically when you hear this but my first card ever was a piece of construction paper and a photo I cut out of a magazine.  That's it... I know, really cheesy!!!  My father-in-law loves tractors so I cut a photo of a John Deere tractor out of a magazine and used it to make him a birthday card.  My mother-in-law keeps all my cards and every now and then comments that I've come a long way from when I first started stamping!  I really hope so!!!

This beautiful card was sent to my friend Carrie for her birthday!  Happy Birthday, Carrie!!!  Thank you for all the lovely comments and the never ending inspiration.  Carrie and I met on Splitcoaststampers and are both members of the Stamps R Us blog group.  I hope you take a few moments to visit her blog, Stamps, Scraps and Scissors, and wish her a Happy Birthday!    

The layout for this card was inspired by the Splitcoaststampers Sketch Challenge 261.  The card base is Rose Red cardstock layered with a slightly smaller piece of Bali Breeze Designer Series Paper.  I cut a 4 x 5 1/4" piece of Taken With Teal cardstock diagonally one inch in on both ends and adhered one half to the lower portion of the card base.

The image was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black on Whisper White cardstock using the Flowers In Basket stamp and colored in using Stampin' Write Markers then layered on to a slightly larger piece of Rose Red cardstock.  I wrapped a strip of black ribbon around the image and attached a bow in front before adhering the image to the card base using Scotch Foam Mounting Tape.  To finish off the card I added two medium black brads along the right side of the image.

Hope you have a great day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
Stamps: Flowers In Basket (Great Impressions);  Paper: Rose Red, Taken With Teal, Whisper White and Bali Breeze Designer Seriers Paper (Stampin' Up);  Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive and Taken With Teal;  Other: Medium Black Brads, Black Ribbon (Offray), Glue Dots and Scotch Foam Mounting Tape.

7 comments:

Patty said...

Beautiful card Karen! What a funny story about your first card. I think mine have come a long way also since I first started!

jimlynn said...

Wonderful card - I love it and know Carrie will too! Happy Birthday Carrie.

Janelle said...

What a cute card AND the John Deere card has to be priceless! LOL I love it. I don't remember my first card, but I have also come a long way from my first. Haven't we all. Thanks for the inspiration.

Carrie said...

LOL Karen, we all have to start somewhere :) AWWW I love this card!!! Can't wait to see it in person. Love the colors and layout. I'm so glad I joined this wonderful blog group and met such a fabulous group of women who are an inspiration to me everyday. HUGS!!!!

lcamacho said...

Hello Karen,I would love to see your first card.Maybe we should post some of our first.I have alot of my first cards. Now when i look at them.I cant believe I gave some away.LOL...

I love your card.Carrie will love it.I love the colors.

Sew-Ink said...

Very cute. Love the layout.

Patty (LaLatty) said...

Lovely card, Karen! My mother in law saves all of the cards that she has recieved from me and I was looking through them not too long ago and it's amazing the stuff I used to make...LOL