Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sailing Over The Ocean Blue


This card took a few tries before I finally came up with something I really liked! I wanted to make it look like the sun was rising or setting on the horizon but couldn't figure out how to color it and finally gave up!  I keep telling my husband I want to take some coloring classes and will have to add that to my 2010 to do list!

The card was made for my nephew's birthday!  Happy Birthday, Ryan!!!  The layout is from The Pixie Cottage Challenge #7.  The finished card size is 5 1/2" x 5 1/2".  The card base is Chocolate Chip layered with a slighly smaller piece of Summer Sun cardstock.  The photo frame is a blue pattern from the Colorbok Treasured Brights Patterned Paper Pack.  First I cut a 5" x 5" piece of the patterned paper then cut it both ways diagonally.  I distressed the edges on all four trianges with Chocolate Chip ink then taped them all back together before adhering the patterned paper to the card base.  Next I wrapped Rustic Jute Twine around the card base and taped both ends in the front where they are covered up by the image.

The image was stamped in Chocolate Chip on PTI White using the Visual Image Printery stamp.  Using an aqua painter and the Not Quite Navy Watercolor Wonder Crayon I colored in the water below the ship.  Using a sponge and my Not Quite Navy ink pad I added color around the ship in the sky.  Then I distressed the edges using Chocolate Chip ink.  The image was layered on to a slightly larger piece of Summer Sun then Chocolate Chip cardstock and attached to the card base using Mounting Tape.  To embellish the card I added small copper brads in each corner.

Thanks for stopping by!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
Stamps: Visual Image Printery;  Paper: Chocolate Chip, Summer Sun, PTI White and Treasured Bright Pattern Paper Pack (Colorbok);  Ink: Chocolate Chip and Not Quite Navy;  Other: Sponge, Aqua Painter, Watercolor Wonder Crayons, Small Copper Brads, Rustic Jute Twine (PTI) and Mounting Tape.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

What a great card for your nephew, my son would love it, he loves anything piratey or batman take your pick lol. I like the jute tied around it, it just completes the whole look

jimlynn said...

This is gorgeous just as it is. And your coloring is wonderful!

Patty said...

This is beautiful Karen! I love the triangles and will have to try a sketch like this. I just watched an old scrapbook episode where they showed how to make backgrounds (sky or beach) using chalk with cottonballs or makeup sponges. They also used a template of some sort. You could probably just used the edge of something.

lcamacho said...

Karen this is gorgeous! Love everything about it.I know How hard it is to make a card for a boy or Man.This one is perfect.Colors are perfect.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderful- i love the sketch and your stamping is wonderful- looks loke a picture for the wall!

Jen said...

I just saw your write-up on Alissa's blog and came by to see your blog and learn about your organization. You are a very talented and should be very proud of your efforts. Great job.

Alissa said...

Oh wow, this is great Karen. I love how you threw in the string for a completely nautical look. Little additions like that really make a difference.

Jenn said...

This was worth a couple tries! Just gorgeous!