Thursday, January 28, 2010

Three Star Driver


I'm really excited about this card because it has so many personal touches. I made this card for the first challenge hosted by the new Operation Write Home blog for cardmakers named Stars and Stamps. I pretty much stuck to the sketch except I added the Black panel so I would have a home for my stars. My color combination was also inspired by the sketch. And since I made this card in honor of Operation Write Home I couldn't resist adding OWH on the license plate, LOL!!!

Operation Write Home supports our nations heroes by sending blank handmade cards for them to write home on. I know how important this is because while I was attending college my husband served four years in the army and was stationed in Korea for about two of those years before transferring to New York for the remaining time. We wrote to each other almost every day. Back then an organization like Operation Write Home hadn't been founded yet but it would have been so much fun to receive handmade cards from my husband knowing that he had picked one out especially to send to me! So if you have a stash of cards that need a home Operation Write Home is a wonderful way to share them with someone else!

As for the card details... my card base is a half sheet of Real Red cardstock folded in half then layered with a one inch strip of Basic Grey. The image was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black on Whisper White using the Changito Driver stamp and colored in using markers. I paper pierced the edges and layered it on to a 3 1/4 x 4 1/2 piece of Basic Black cardstock. Next I punched out two Basic Grey and one Real Red star and attached them using small silver brads then attached the whole piece to the card base using Mounting Tape.

Hope you're having a great week!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
Stamps: Changito Driver (Stampendous); Paper: Real Red, Basic Grey, Basic Black and Whisper White; Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Yoyo Yellow, Tombow N65 and N75, Copic R29; Other: Small Silver Brads, Star Punch, Paper Piercing Tool and Mat Pack, and Mounting Tape.

13 comments:

Carrie said...

What a great card for a wonderful cause. I love the layout and colors and too cute adding the OWH on the license plate.

Patty said...

Beautiful card Karen! I love red, white & blue. The liscense plate fits. I should really think about donating cards. I have a ton! Thanks for the the link to Stars & Stamps.

Tammy said...

Oh, this is so adorable! I love that image and how you added OWH to the license plate! Wonderful!

Operation Write Home said...

*beep beep!* Love the stamp, and your whole card is so cute!!

CoveredInCrafts said...

Love it! I love the "stitching" holes too. That is a great touch.

Dixie said...

Karen, that's one clever card! Terrific job! Thanks for sharing.

Vicki said...

What a cutie, Karen! God bless you for supporting OWH and our troops!

Lauri said...

This is SO cute!!!! Love it!

Cheryl said...

A wonderful card for a great cause! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Like your twist on the sketch with the longer black layer and stars. Cute coloring and the little holes are a nice touch on such a simple card layout.

Jacqueline (Scraps of Life) said...

What a fun card! I love that image, and your personal touches to the sketch are perfect! Great job!

Donna said...

Love the monkey's! I just came across your blog from Splitcoast and I am gonna foward on to one of my customer that LOVES cats.
Donna

Kajikit said...

Hi Karen, we've got a lot in common - like our name and our love for cats! lol I love your elegantly simple card...