Thursday, March 25, 2010

Four Legged Friend


Today's cute card was created combining three challenges that are going on right now. The first is the OWH Stars and Stamps mid-week challenge. The challenge is to create any card using a four legged friend. I picked up this doggie stamp set from Michael's a few weeks back because it had this adorable poodle stamp. The poodle reminded me of my little guy, Slater, who passed away a year ago. It was too emotional this first time using the stamp to color the poodle as a male dog so I decided to color it as a female.

I used this weeks OWH Stars and Stamps sketch challenge for the layout. I enlarged the image quite a bit to fit my fluffy, curly poodle on there. I also left off the sentiment. In making this card I also used this month's Stamps R Us challenge which is to make a card using any distressing technique. So, I distressed the edges of both pieces of patterned paper although it is a little hard to tell in this photo. I really like how the distressed edges soften the look of this card and blend the patterned paper with the cardstock.

My card base is a half sheet of Pretty In Pink cardstock folded in half. Next I cut a slightly smaller piece of Brittany patterned paper and distressed the edges before attaching to the card base. For the strip across the center I cut a 2 x 5 1/2 piece of Pretty In Pink cardstock and punched both sides using the Scallop Edge Punch. I layered it with a 1 inch strip of distressed Jaime patterned paper. I paper pierced along the scallop border before attaching the strip to the card base. After it was attached, I wrapped the grosgrain ribbon around the card base and taped the ends down in front where they are covered up by the image. I made a pretty bow and attached it on the right side using a glue dot.

The image was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black on PTI White using the Woof Woof stamp set and colored in using my new Prismacolor Colored Pencils and Gamsol. I die cut and embossed the image to fit a 2 3/4 x 2 3/4 square using my Classic Squares Small Nestabilities and layered it on to a slightly larger piece of Pretty In Pink cardstock die cut with the Classic Scalloped Squares Small Nestabilities. Poodles are typically show dogs so to add some sparkle I added Kaiser Rhinestones around the image along the scalloped border.

Thanks for coming by and hope you have a great day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
Stamps: Woof Woof (Recollections);  Paper: Pretty In Pink, PTI White, Brittany and Jaime (PaperLoft Slug Bug Collection);  Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Prismacolor Colored Pencils PC929 and PC1076;  Other: Classic Scalloped Squares Small and Classic Squares Small Nestabilities, Scallop Edge Punch, Distressing, Paper Piercing, Kaiser Rhinestones, Mounting Tape, Glue Dot and Gamsol.

18 comments:

A Little This and Alot of That said...

Oh how very cute.....great card....
I love the papers you used.....

Harriet

Tammy said...

Awww...she is so adorable Karen!! I love your poodle and it's colored beautifully! Your DP and bow are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

kssdesigns said...

Love this card. I just got this stamp set and can't wait to use it.

jimlynn said...

Oh, I love your little pink poodle! So cute.

Our Little Inspirations said...

what a super cute pooch! I just love the color combination you used!

Monika Reeck said...

The BG paper is so sweet Karen H, and love the cuuute Images...ouch I wish I have her/him ;) which stamp is it Karen H....LOVELY CARD....best regards, Monika

Dawn said...

omg..cuteness..love the pink hair.

Cheryl said...

I love this card -the colors work so well together!

Carrie said...

Great job with the challenges Karen. That little pooch is the cutest.

lcamacho said...

Hello Karen,I can see why you like that little poodle it is so cute.And the distressing is great look.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Darling card- fun image and I love the sketch too and the distressing.....!!!

Seongsook Duncan said...

This is very nice card. I love it. I like your coloring of this cute image and your detailed techniques. Thanks for sharing.

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Love your card, what a cute pooch! Your scallops, ribbon and bling add a nice feminine touch.

Caro said...

I just love the colors you used in this card and the poodle is too cute!

Patty (LaLatty) said...

Oh, this si really cute, great colors and I love that poodle image. I didn't see this stamp my Michael's, but my local store doesn't always have everything the other stores have.

Operation Write Home said...

The scallops are so cute with the poofy sheep - cuteness!!

Betty said...

LOVE the poodle and perfect papers to go with her :)

Patty said...

Cute card!