Saturday, April 10, 2010

Anything But Stamping


Somewhere along the line I came across a challenge to make a card using anything but stamping.  It's only taken some time to complete the challenge but that is where my inspiration came for today's card.  That and wanting to play with my new Birds w/Leaves and Flowers Sizzix Die.  This beautiful card was sent to my friend and fellow Digi Doodle Shop's Best design team member, Monika, for her birthday!  The card is traveling all the way to Germany so I hope it made it there in time!  Happy Birthday, Monika!!!  Hope you have a fabulous birthday and your day is filled with all things as beautiful as you are!

The layout for today's card is from the Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge #62.  As always, I didn't have the card ready in time to actually enter in the challenge but it sure was fun playing with the sketch.  My card base is So Saffron layered with a slightly smaller piece of Very Vanilla cardstock then Le Jardin Designer Series Paper.

The strip is So Saffron finished on both sides using the Scallop Edge Punch.  I wrapped the grosgrain ribbon around the cardstock and taped both ends down on the backside before adhering the strip to the card base.  Next I grabbed a bunch of scrap cardstock and had fun playing with my sizzix die.  The bird is die cut from Bashful Blue, the flower Always Artichoke and the leaves River Rock.  To embellish the card I added a button threaded with DMC Ivory in the center of the flower and three Kaiser Rhinestones along the bottom of the card.

Hope you have a beautiful day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
Paper: So Saffron, Bashful Blue, River Rock, Always Artichoke, Very Vanilla and Le Jardin Designer Seriers Paper (Stampin' Up);  Other: Bird w/Leaves and Flower Sizzix Die (Stampin' Up), Scallop Edge Punch, 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon, Kaiser Rhinestones, Button, DMC Ivory, Mounting Tape.

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Your blue bird really stands out against that bg. Its a nice change of pace to sometimes not stamp a card isn't it. Love this.

Scrapping Mom said...

That is such a beautiful card. I love it.

Patty (LaLatty) said...

WOW....anything but stamping, what a challenge that would be for me; although your card is just fabulous! Love your bird, it's just perfect! Love your button treatment too!

A Little This and Alot of That said...

Beautiful card and I know that Monika will love it....


Harriet

jo said...

So pretty! A card without stamping?! Awesome! :)

-Jo:)
http://joboogie.typepad.com

jimlynn said...

Beautiful!!!! Love your blue bird. You sound kinda like me on these challenges....usually a day (or week) late! LOL!

Cheryl said...

Hi Karen...love your cards especially the lexicon of love (love how u named it) not sure what a lexicon is though but it sounds good! Anyways i was wondering if i could be a blog circle member over at stars and stamps. I started making cards for OWH approximately Dec 2009-January 2010 of this year. So far I have around 40 cards ready to go to my east coast shipper Dixie-I just need to make a few more to fill the box I have! I've been doing some of the challenges and did the March bloghop & will be continuing to participate in the challenges as much as possible. Anyways i know space is limited but if there is any left i'd love to be a part of it! my email is clkreider@bellsouth.net and my blog http://dontworrybescrappi.blogspot.com
Thanks so much!
Happy scrapp 'n!!

Christiana said...

Great job! I wouldn't know where to begin if you held my stamps hostage! But I love how this one turned out.

Monika Reeck said...

Yay Karen today I get your card...woooow it is sooo beautiful like you..and I love all element on that card..thanks sooo much Karen...you really made my day...hugs, Monika

lcamacho said...

WOW!!!I really like what you been doing with the colors on all your cards.Very Pretty!!