Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ruby Red Irises


Today's beautiful card was created for the Digi Doodle Shop's Best Challenge #2. This week the challenge is to create a card using a different fold which really brought me out of my shell but also gave me a chance to play with my new Scor-Pal. The design for this card is called the Gate Fold Card.

While working on this card I also made a Gate Fold Card for my father-in-law's 70th birthday along with a tutorial being featured over on the Stars and Stamps blog. The photo above is of my Ruby Red Irises card closed. The next photo shows the card slightly open so you can tell where the folds are.

 
My card base is a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 piece of Ruby Red cardstock scored at 2 1/8" and 6 3/8". Fold the flaps at the scored lines. In keeping with my traditional layers I next cut a slightly smaller piece of PTI White, cut it in half and attached one half on each flap. The next layer is a slightly smaller piece of Wild Wasabi cardstock embossed with the Cuttlebug Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, cut in half and attached to the card base. I wrapped ribbon around the left flap and taped the ends down in the middle where they are covered up by the image.

The Iris image is a digital stamp from the Digi Doodle Shop that was printed on PTI White using my Epson Photo Printer and colored in using copic markers. I paper pierced around the edges and layered it on to a slightly larger piece of Ruby Red cardstock. The left side of the image is taped to the left flap so that the card may be opened. To embellish the card I added a pretty bow finished with a large button threaded with DMC White. In the lower corner of the image I added two small buttons threaded with DMC White.

Hope you enjoyed today's card creation, thanks for stopping by!


 
CREATIVE DESIGN:
Stamps: Iris (Digi Doodle Shop);  Paper: Ruby Red, Wild Wasabi and PTI White;  Ink: Copics R14, R39, YG63 and G99;  Other: Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, Paper Piercing, Ribbon, Buttons, DMC White and Glue Dots.

13 comments:

Pascale said...

Great red Irises I love this card hugs Pascale

A Little This and Alot of That said...

Your card is beautiful and I love the ruby red iris. This ruby red color is different and I love it....

Harriet

Vera W. Yates (Ling) said...

Great card, Karen and I love how you did your ribbon. Very pretty.

Judy said...

Karen

I love these 2 colors together. The red really makes the Irises stand out! Beautifully done!

Hugs

jo said...

So pretty and elegant! :)

jimlynn said...

Great card Karen. Your coloring is just WOW!

Michelle B said...

This card is gorgeous... I love your color combo and your coloring is beautiful!

Hugs,
Michelle B.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful coloring- you are making lots of gorgeous cards!

Amber said...

Karen your card is so beautiful! I love the shades of red and green you used and your bow is the perfect touch!
Hugs
Amber

Patty said...

Beautiful card Karen! I love the ribbon!

KymKreates said...

your card is absolutely stunning! So glad you got to use a new toy! Aren't they fun?

Becky said...

Stunning!! The ribbon is gorgeous.

Monika Reeck said...

great Coloring the Iris Karen..Lovely card..hugs, Monika