Thursday, May 6, 2010

1800 Vintage Dress


If you'd asked me a week ago to create a card using a vintage image I'd probably have run the other way but this past week I played around with this gorgeous 1800 Vintage Dress 2 digital image from the Digi Doodle Shop and have to say, I LOVE IT!!!

The card was created for this week's Digi Doodle Shop's Best Challenge #6.  The challenge was to create any card using this amazing sketch.  I don't often make square cards since I'm not able to send them to Operation Write Home so I turned the sketch on it's side then shrunk the sketch to fit a standard A2 size card and will definitely be using this sketch again.

To color the image, I used one of my favorite colors... PINK, and went with a monochromatic color scheme.  Turns out I had the same shades of pink in my cardstock stash, WHEW!!!  And my timing was perfect, after I created the card I remembered that this week's Stars and Stamps color challenge is to create any card using YOUR FAVORITE COLOR!!!  

My card base is Rose Red layered with a slightly smaller piece of PTI White then Pretty In Pink patterned paper from the Stampin' Up Prints Pack.  I cut a 2 x 4 1/4 strip of Regal Rose cardstock and punched one edge using the Scallop Edge Punch then wrapped grosgrain ribbon around it before attaching to the card base.  Tucked under the strip is a piece of Bravo Burgundy cardstock punched out using the Scallop Circle Punch.

The 1800 Vintage Dress digital image was printed on PTI White using my Epson Photo Printer and colored in using copic markers.  I paper pierced the edges then layered on to a slightly larger piece of Rose Red cardstock before attaching to the card base using mounting tape.  To embellish the card I made a pretty bow using the same grosgrain ribbon and adhered it to the strip of ribbon using glue dots.  I added two large Kaiser Pearls along the left side of the image and finished the scallop edge at the bottom with small Kaiser Pearls.

Hope you have a wonderful day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: 1800 Vintage Dress 2 (Digi Doodle Shop)
  • Paper: Regal Rose, Rose Red, Bravo Burgundy, PTI White and Pretty In Pink Patterned Paper (Stampin' Up Prints Pack)
  • Ink: Copics Y21, R81, R83, R85 and R89
  • Other: Scallop Edge Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Paper Piercing, Grosgrain Ribbon, Kaiser Pearls, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape

19 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow Karen, this is gorgeous. I love everything about it the color for one, your coloring is fantastic, love the little pearls. fabulous card.

Pascale said...

Hi Karen a gorgeous card and so brave of you to step outside of your comfort zone. It worked to your favour as your card is so beautiful hugs Pascale

A Little This and Alot of That said...

Absolutely gorgeous card and love the colors you used and the pearl embellies just top it all off....

Harriet

Vera W. Yates (Ling) said...

Karen, this is beautiful and so elegant!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Wow Karen, she's stunning! I love all the detail you put into your cards!

jo said...

So pretty! I love the pearls! :)

jimlynn said...

Oh WOW! Karen, this is gorgeous! Beautiful job. I also like the sketch.

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love this great sketch- and the vintage image is wonderful! Pink is my favorite color, so I think she looks awesome- love the extra touches- the piercing is icing! TFS

KymKreates said...

You have done it again. Your card is just lovely!!! Your coloring is fantastic and everything else is awesome!!!

lcamacho said...

Very Beautiful card! I love it.Im usually not a pink person.But it has been growing on me.

Patty said...

Beautiful card Karen! I love that stamp and how you finished off the scalloped edge.

Cheryl said...

Karen ALL of your cards are beautiful and I say this because I cant just look at the featured one-I have to keep going and look at them all. I love the garden bear..I'm going to have to get that image and case your card now _ I love that clean look...the colors coordinate so nicely!! Take care & thanks for stopping by my blog, Cheryl

helloholley said...

I love this card....very elegant and girly!!!

Tammy said...

Absolutely gorgeous card Karen!! That image is awesome and you have colored it beautifully!! All of the pearls are a perfect touch!

Scrapping Mom said...

Absolutely beautiful card.

Michelle B said...

This card is so pretty! I love the colors and the use of the image... Great job!

Hugs,
Michelle B.

Nancy Keller said...

Oh pretty! I would also run at the thought of making a vintage card but you make it look so easy and elegant and fun! Great job!

Monika Reeck said...

Karen I love how you colored the Images soo elegant...beautiful card, hugs, Monika

Patty (LaLatty) said...

What a beautiful vintage card, this is just perfect! Very pretty colors, great dp and your pearls are just the right touch! Gorgeous!