Saturday, May 8, 2010

Buzz In The Air!


Happy Saturday, everyone! My husband had to work this morning so I thought I'd pop in and share the card I made for the Stars and Stamps Sketch Challenge #15. This is one of the sketches I came up with for the Spring Break Blog Hop sketch challenge. I'm sure at the time I had some brilliant idea in mind but at the moment it certainly escapes me. This is my third attempt to create a card using my own sketch, LOL!!! I modified the shadow layer a little and added a layer for the image... hoping it still looks enough like the original to count!

My card base is Basic Grey layered with a slightly smaller piece of So Saffron then red patterned paper.  Not sure what the name of the patterned paper is, I got it from my friend, Kris, when she was cleaning out her stash and switching to digital scrapbooking!  The shadow layer is a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 piece of paper pierced So Saffron cardstock layered underneath a 2 x 4 1/4 piece of paper pierced Basic Grey.  I wrapped organdy ribbon around the Basic Grey cardstock and taped the ends down on the back side before adhering it to the card base.  I made a beautiful bow from more of the same organdy ribbon and attached it using a glue dot.

The image was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black on a 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 piece of PTI White using the Buzz In The Air! stamp set and colored in using copic markers.  I paper pierced the edges and layered the image on to a slightly larger piece of Real Red cardstock before attaching to the card base with mounting tape.  I've had a couple questions about how I get such straight lines when paper piercing so I'll share my secret.  I use this handy dandy paper piercing template from Stampin' Up.  I wish they made it in a larger size but for now I just slide it down as I go if the cardstock is bigger than the template.  To finish off the card, I added a red button threaded with DMC White to the center of the bow.

Thanks for stopping by and hope your day is buzzin' with excitement!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Buzz In The Air! (Penny Black)
  • Paper: Real Red, Basic Grey, So Saffron, PTI White and Patterned Paper
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics E00, R01, R27, R29, Y21, Y26, YG17, T2, T4, B91
  • Other: Organdy Ribbon, Paper Piercing Tool and Mat Pack, Button, DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape.

10 comments:

A Little This and Alot of That said...

Fabulous card.... I love the stamps and your coloring is perfect.

Harriet

Jan Hunnicutt said...

I love what you've done with your sketch, I like all the layers and colors, that hedgie is darling! I also like your use of ribbon with the button attached, I want to try that too!

jimlynn said...

I like your sketch AND your card. You have colored that little hedgie just perfect. So cute.

jo said...

So cute! What an adorable image! :)

Carrie said...

I love the added layer for the image, great layout! Great color combo too and I'm so jealous when people can make ribbon look so pretty on their cards ;) Wonderful touch.

lcamacho said...

wow Karen very fun sketch.Oh that little stamp is soooo cute.

Tami said...

Love the layout, ribbon and colors Great job

Rosanne said...

Really cute card!

Patty (LaLatty) said...

Super cute card, love this layout! Nicely done!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Very pretty card- love the layout with your added layer- cute image too!