Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Cardinal Graduation


Hi everyone! You're probably wondering why this card says "Class of 2009" instead of "Class of 2010". It's because I made this graduation announcement last year for my niece's high school graduation and decided to take a photo of it to share with all of you! The image is from the "A Cardinal Christmas" stamp set by Stampin' Up. I originally ordered the stamp set to make christmas cards with but ended up using it for the graduation announcements. I choose this image because the high school mascot is a cardinal and the school colors are black, red and white.

My card base is a half sheet of Real Red cardstock folded in half.  Next I cut a slightly smaller piece of Basic Black cardstock, finished the corners using the Ticket Corner Punch then paper pierced the edges before attaching to the card base.  The image was stamped in Basic Black on Whisper White using the A Cardinal Christmas stamp set and colored in using Stampin' Write markers.  I punched the corners using the Ticket Corner Punch then layered it on to a slightly larger piece of Real Red cardstock.  I added a small black brad in three of the four corners before attaching to the card base.

The sentiment "Class of 2009" was created in Microsoft Word using round text then printed on Whisper White cardstock and punched out using the 1 1/4" Circle Punch.  I layered it on to a 1 3/8" Circle of Basic Black cardstock then Real Red punched out using the Scallop Circle Punch.  I paper pierced around the scallop and attached it to the card base using mounting tape.

Hope you're having a great week!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: A Cardinal Christmas (Stampin' Up)
  • Paper: Real Red, Basic Black and Whisper White
  • Ink: Basic Black, Real Red, Creamy Caramel, Summer Sun and Garden Green
  • Other: Ticket Corner Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" Circle Punches, Paper Piercing, Small Black Brads and Mounting Tape

6 comments:

Carrie said...

This is beautiful Karen. I just saw my first cardinal of the season yesterday perched on our fence.

Jackie said...

Beautiful card Karen and love these colors together! TFS my friend!!!
Hugs,
Jackie

jimlynn said...

Beautiful card. Your coloring on this is outstanding. WHY can't I get my markers to do this!!! Great job.

jo said...

Gorgeous! Fabulous coloring! :)

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love this- I should makje some now that say 2011...I am going to need High School AND college grad announcements next year! TFS

lcamacho said...

Beautiful card!I love the colors.
Karen,I added a person to the blog list.Im not sure if you wanted it to come up on the side bar.