Saturday, May 1, 2010

King Of The Jungle


I've been wanting to play with this awesome lion image for some time now and finally got the chance. My card was created for this week's Stars and Stamps "Wild Thing" theme challenge. The challenge is to create any card feauturing a wild animal that you may see at the zoo, in the jungle or on a safari. The lion is a digital image from the Digi Doodle Shop and the layout is from SCS Sketch Challenge #277.

My card base is Bordering Blue cardstock layered with a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 piece of patterned paper then a 2 x 5 1/2 strip of distressed Garden Green cardstock. The lion image was printed on PTI White using my Epson Photo Printer then colored in using copic markers. To make the grass and sky I printed a second lion image and cut it out to use as a mask. Covering up the original image with the mask I then stamped clumps of grass below the lion in Garden Green then sponged Garden Green ink to fill in the spaces. I also sponged Bordering Blue ink above the lion to create the sky.

The 3 x 4 image was layered on to a slightly larger piece of brown felt then attached to the card base using mounting tape. I stamped the sentiment in Memento Tuxedo Black on Bordering Blue cardstock using the Basket Full 'O Flopsey stamp set. To embellish the card I added two brown buttons threaded with Jute Twine.

Hope you have a roaring good day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: King Of The Jungle (Digi Doodle Shop), Grass (Stamps by Judith) and Basket Full 'O Flopsey (My Favorite Things)
  • Paper: Bordering Blue, Garden Green, PTI White, Felt and Patterned Paper (DCWV)
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Bordering Blue, Garden Green and Copics E55, E57
  • Other: Buttons, Jute Twine (PTI), Edge Distresser, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape

12 comments:

jimlynn said...

Karen this is beautiful! Everything - from the paper to buttons! That image is probably the prettiest lion I've seen! This is a great card.

Pascale said...

Gorgeous card Karen I love the background you have created on the image and stunning layout as always hugs Pascale

Judy said...

Karen,

I am wowed by this card! What a fantastic job you did. I am so pleased with how it turned out. Love it hun.
Hugs

A Little This and Alot of That said...

Wow how regal the lion looks .... great coloring and great card....

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous card Karen!! That lion image is awesome!! I LOVE the scene you created...perfect masking!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful! Your image is very majestic and your coloring is perfect! I love the Textures CS you used too. TFS

The Stamper's Touch said...

Positively stunning!!!!! Love your coloring!!! Gorgeous card!

Linda

lcamacho said...

what a gorgeous card!I love the background and the lion.The coloring is so fabulous.

Monika Reeck said...

Hi Karen woow your coloring the images so lovely...great card dear...I am not good at coloring the Lion thats why I am shy to make a card with this Images but yours is best dear..hugs

Carrie said...

Your coloring is wonderful. This is a great layout too I'm definitely going to have to try it. Wonderfully done.

Operation Write Home said...

What a beautiful card...no lion! :)

jo said...

Fabulous! You colored that lion so well! :)