Saturday, May 29, 2010

OWH Memorial Day Weekend Bloghop

Hi everyone! Welcome to the OWH Memorial Day Weekend Bloghop!

If you are here visiting my blog, thanks for stopping by! I'm so glad you did because I don't want you to miss out on anything. If you've arrived here from Carisa's blog, Lady Guinevere's Inky Faeries, then you're in the right place but if you've just happened along, you will want to pull up a comfortable chair, grab your favorite beverage then head on over to the OWH Stars and Stamps blog so you can start from the beginning! Last I heard there are over 150 crafters on this bloghop... so what are you waiting for! I'm sure you will find lots of inspiration along the way... not to mention all the blog candy, tutorials and freebies!

To those of you joining us for the first time on this bloghop, welcome and hope you will play along with the weekly challenges hosted on the OWH Stars and Stamps blog. I'm the crazy voice behind the Sunday Sketch Challenges and thanks to all who participated in the Sketch Challenge I hosted on the Spring Break Bloghop we now have enough sketches and sample cards until the end of this year, WAHOO!!! A HUGE thanks to everyone who played along!

To the many heroes out there, THANK YOU for your strength, courage and dedication in serving and protecting our great nation! Also, a HUGE thanks to all their family and friends for the many sacrifices made on our behalf. I'm proud to be supporting Operation Write Home and do so in honor of my husband's grandfather who served during WWII, my father-in-law, my wonderful husband, both his brothers and the many uncles and cousins who have served or are currently serving. God Bless all of you!

For this OWH Memorial Day Weekend Bloghop Sandy challenged us to create a card using the colors red, white and blue with a "Missing You" theme. When I think of the "Missing You" theme I'm reminded of when my husband served in the armed forces (just before we were married) and was stationed overseas in Korea so I couldn't resist making a red, white and blue card using this gorgeous sailboat image. The image makes me think of someone being across the great blue waters
.

My card base is Real Red layered with a slightly smaller piece of PTI White cardstock. For the blue layer I cut a 3 3/4 x 5 piece of Night Of Navy cardstock and embossed it using the Cuttlebug D'Vine Swirls Embossing Folder. Next I cut a 2 x 3 3/4 strip of PTI Kraft cardstock and finished one side using the Fiskars Diamond Edge Punch.

The Sailboat is a digital image from KLM Designs that I printed on PTI White using my Epson Photo Printer and colored in using copic markers. I paper pierced the edges and layered on to a slightly larger piece of Real Red cardstock before attaching to the card base using mounting tape. To embellish the card I added three buttons threaded with DMC White.

Well, that's it for me! YOUR NEXT STOP on this bloghop is the marvelously talented Jana. So, without further ado... hop on over to her blog, I Can't Wanna, and enjoy the rest of the bloghop!

Thanks for stopping by!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Sailboat (KLM Designs)
  • Paper: Real Red, Night Of Navy, PTI White and PTI Kraft
  • Ink: Copics R29, E44, E47, E55, B91, B93, B95, B97, B99
  • Other: D'Vine Swirls Embossing Folder, Fiskars Diamond Edge Punch, Paper Piercing, Buttons, DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape
CHALLENGES:

80 comments:

Heather said...

Oh this is just BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the colors and gorgeous buttons. I love the paper piercing as well. Thank you so much for playing along with us at Freshly Brewed Challenges. I have an image up with ways to win (by commenting :) this weekend that is in honor of our servicemen and women for Memorial Day. Hope you have time to stop by!

Deb Neerman said...

Beautiful!

Thanks so much for joining us in this week's Stamp Simply "Flying High and Proud" challenge!

Cheryl said...

Oh Karen as usual this card is so clean and the colors match so well...I like the paper piecing too...that's a technique I've not tried... but hopefully I will soon!!

Jana said...

A beautiful card. And the story behind it is wonderful. A lovely tribute to our HERO's.

Carisa said...

What a great card - I love your coloring!

Vera W. Yates (Ling) said...

Karen, your card is beautiful. Love it!

Virginia D. said...

Great Card!

Karin said...

Such a beautiful card! I love the red, white and blue theme for it as well. Thanks for playing along at I Love Digi!

Shelley said...

beautiful card! have a great weekend!

Lone Pine Designs said...

What an eye-catching card!

Dawn said...

Karen, thank you for all you do on the stars blog. I really really really really enjoy the sketches, and since they have the measurements I can follow them easily. (i'm ruler dumb)

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful coloring on this pretty image - love the buttons too!

Hi, I'm Brenda. . . . . . . . . . . said...

Love your card, it is absolutely gorgeous. TFS

The Wired Angel said...

Your card is lovely and very creative. Thanks for participating in the hop today and for all you do for our service men and women.

Marianne said...

Karen,
You did a great job with this digi image. I really like that you stayed away for the typical images for red, white and blue.

Nerina said...

What a creative use for red, white and blue! I love your colouring - beautiful card!

Melissa Elsner said...

Beautiful card!!

jimlynn said...

Beautiful card Karen!

Linda said...

Hi Karen! Great card. I love the colors. Thanks for the S&S challenges. I love doing them when I can.

Monica said...

Your card is beautiful! Thank you for the challanges.. I plan to participate much more in the future!

amycatalogna said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!! And thanks for participating in the blog hop and beautiful card!

Julie said...

Super cute card! And so glad you threaded those buttons - I have a pet peeve about naked buttons!

Dawn B. said...

Beautiful card.. I love the set that you chose.. It is perfect for this hop..

Courtney said...

What a beautiful card!

Rhonda Miller said...

What a gorgeous card. I love the image you have used.

Erika said...

Great card! And thanks for all you do for the S&S blog! It's really wonderful to have weekly sketches to create from! As a military wife, let me say thank you for sharing your creativity to help bring families closer who are separated by duty.

TN Granny said...

I love your card its amazing thank you for sharing.
God Bless,
Jeanine

jaydee said...

Karen, fabulous card and wonderful coloring job. I love the addition of the buttons, too
tfs
jaydee - blog 69

Susan said...

BEAUTIFUL card! love the details :)
thanks for all you DO for OWH, and Please thank your hubby and other vets in your life.

Hugs,
Susan

Fellow OWHomer

Operation Write Home said...

Wow Karen! That sailboat image is so restful...you did a great job coloring it, and all the manly elements on the card work so great together!

You are such an amazing woman....did you ever think asking to start a cardmaker blog for OWH would result in all of this??? YOU ROCK!!!! Hugz!!!

Paige said...

What a refreshing card! Just beautiful!

Merry's Musings said...

Totally lovely!

rstuck2003 said...

This card is gorgeous...thank you for sharing.

Lelia Pierce said...

Great card! TFS!

Paula said...

Beautiful card as always Karen. I especially love how you've used the buttons on this one. Thanks for all you do for OWH!

helloholley said...

love your card as always ;) Thanks for the insipiration!!

jackielwatson said...

I love your card it is gorgeous

Martha said...

Karen your card is beautiful! I love the story that ties it to your DH service overseas.

I look forward to Sunday sketches every week. You do a great job with this program. Thanks so very much for your support of OWH and our troops!

levelsoflight said...

Your card is really pretty. I like how you interpreted the theme differently than others. :)

eddee1286 said...

Love your card. Love your blog. Thks for sharing.

Patty (LaLatty) said...

What an amazing card, Karen! Love your coloring and your swirls background is just perfect, nicely done!

debb said...

Karen, Your card is beautiful!

Playing with Paper said...

Lovely card Karen!!

Carrie said...

First Karen I love the new blog look. Second your card fits the challenge perfectly. I love water scenes and this is fantastic. I love the way you colored it too.

cinmfoster said...

Great card.

Cathy... said...

Your card is stunning! Just gorgeous! I love that sailboat image, and thank you for the link to it. I think I'll be buying that one! Thanks for the inspiration!

www.alittlethisandalotofthat.blogspot.com said...

I love your card..... love the stamp you used...your coloring is fantastic.... thank you for all the hard work and time you give to this wonderful organization .....


Harriet

Mary said...

I really enjoy your card designs. I have been checking your website for about a year now and really like the sketched and details instructions that you include.

Jennifer Moore said...

Beautiful card. Love all the little details.

Toni said...

Your coloring is amazing! And I love the layout!

Dixie Cochran said...

Karen, your card is wonderful!! I wish I could color that well. I need to practice!!

Thanks for all you do for OWH! The S&S blog has really grown into a terrific resource for all levels of card makers!

LadyDoc said...

Really BEAUTIFUL card!

Trevorstuffmammas said...

Karen, thank you for your inspiration as always!! I love your different way of looking at things.
Jennifer

Holly / InkPaperStamps said...

Your card is infused with such serene beauty!

Betty said...

Well done... very serene and calming :)

Cheryl said...

Wonderful card! I love the olive accents with the red, white & blue.

StampinSher said...

Lovely card and I do agree with you having a sailboat across the seas really does reflect what all of our heroes have done for years and years ago to the present and of course the future. Thanks for participating with OWH.

Debby said...

Your card is beautiful; wonderful layers and coloring. Thanks for all you do for our heroes.

Nancy Keller said...

Mz. Karen! Yours is always a favorite stop of mine :) Thanks so much for sharing! That "All pooped out" card is showing up in your "Might also like" section. . . OMG I love it! LOL. . . I'm always a fan of yours. Happy Memorial Day weekend!!!

Diane J said...

Beautiful card and I enjoyed reading your post... love Diane x

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hello my friend! I love your card, beautiful job coloring and the buttons and paper piercing are cool!

I'm up to 95 blogs now and need a moment, I'm on creative over load!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Tammy said...

Awesome card Karen!! I love that peaceful image and you have colored it sooo beautifully!! Thank you for all that you do on the OWH S&S blog and for helping me out too!!
Big hugs, Tammy

Shelly Schmidt said...

I finally made it here! I started at mine...100 and went around....wheh! Great card- I love your card using this pretty scene. I am so glad you inspired me to start these challenges and find this great Blog Hop! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Marcy K said...

Really sharp card Karen! Your coloring is always so pretty - love your choices!

Melanie Montes de Oca said...

Awesome card! Love the string on the buttons!

Kim said...

Fabulous card! Your coloring is gorgeous.

Kim said...

Fabulous card! Your coloring is gorgeous.

Seongsook Duncan said...

What such a perfect missing you card. Love the image and your coloring. Buttons are nice touch. Great! Thanks for sharing.

Betty Benton said...

What a beautiful, clean, and crisp card! Great crafting!

Meg Bean said...

Lovely card! The red/white/blue colors work beautifully with this image!!

christy sheffield said...

cute card! thanks for sharing.

Theresa said...

Beautiful card. TFS!

Cut n Paste said...

Your card is beautiful!!Thanks for all you do for OWH!!! The sketches on the Stars and Stamps blog are awesome...I've done some and hope to get more done!!

Stampin_melissa said...

Thank you to all of your family's service to our great nation! Your card is just gorgeous! Wonderful coloring and details!

Heather Grow said...

Beautiful card. I love the ocean image. TFS.

Pat (mspfd) said...

Beautiful! Gorgeous design and coloring.

Chris said...

A gorgeous card and I love the image and your wonderful colouring. Thanks for joining us at DU2DS. Chris :)

Vicki Dutcher said...

WOW! I haven't seen this many comments on a blog forever~ You go! Your card is so clean and crisp -just wonderful - thanks for playing with the B's

Bev said...

The image is great and your colouring is fab, altogether a fabby male card. Thanks for joining us at I Love Digi.

Sprytebyrd said...

Terrific card!
Thanks so much for joining us at I ♥ Digi! I hope to see you again soon!
Dee (Spryte)