Monday, June 14, 2010

Call Of The Wolf


OK, here is my first solo attempt at brayering on a card!  I kept it pretty simple this first time but still feel good about using my new skills so soon after attending Michelle Zindorf's Beginner Brayer Workshop last weekend.  Thank goodness I have photoshop so you don't get to see my small OOPS that according to Michelle becomes a bird, fish, or horizon depending on the location.  Mine would be a horizon or bird but to share my card with all of you I took advantage of photoshop.  So, goodbye oops, LOL!!!

My card base is Basic Black layered with a slightly smaller piece of Blue Bayou cardstock.  The strip is a 2 1/4 x 5 1/2 piece of Whisper White cardstock finished on one side using the Fiskars Diamond Edge Punch.  To create the image I brayered Soft Sky, Baja Breeze and Blue Bayou on Whisper White cardstock then stamped the image in Memento Tuxedo Black using the Nature Silhouettes stamp set.  I sponged Memento Tuxedo Black ink around the edges then added highlights to the tree using the white Uni-Ball Signo Gel Pen.  To embellish the card I added two Zig Zag Brads below the image.

Hope you like this style of card because I love brayering and want to make many more like it!  The card is also a favorite of my husband's so I think I finally figured out the secret to making great masculine cards!  Speaking of masculine cards, I entered this card in the OWH Stars and Stamps Midweek Challenge which is shippers choice.  The shippers requested more masculine cards so this card will soon be on it's way to Operation Write Home!

Thanks for coming by and hope you have a great week!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Nature Silhouette (Stampin' Up)
  • Paper: Basic Black, Blue Bayou and Whisper White
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Soft Sky, Baja Breeze and Blue Bayou
  • Other: Diamond Edge Punch (Fiskars), Uni-Ball Signo Gel Pen, Zig Zag Brads (Karen Foster Design), brayer, mounting tape

10 comments:

Our Little Inspirations said...

This is AWESOME!! I love the colors you chose and your card looks more like fine art! Beautifully done.....right down to those zig zag brads you added to the bottom!

Carrie said...

You did a great job brayering...ok now there's another tool I need :) Love this masculine card and I really like the little hightlights in the tree

Patty said...

I really like you card Karen! Love the color scheme. I really need to make more masculine cards, that's always an issue for me.

jimlynn said...

Beautiful! You nailed the braying as far as I'm concerned. Too pretty.
Lynn

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Wow Karen, this is gorgeous! I want to learn how to do that too! I'm totally inspired ;)

Paige said...

Wow! This is an awesome card! Love the accent strips under the image - neat touch!

debb said...

Beautiful card! And lucky you- attending one of Michelle's workshops!!!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Michelle will be so proud of you!!!! This is wonderful- and I love the great L.O. too. I look forward to seeing more of these by you....!

Chris said...

Great job! Love the gel pen in the trees, looks like twinkling little fireflys. :)

Operation Write Home said...

Beautiful, Karen! What kind of brayer do you have? I have two and neither works for squat when I try to use it!