Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tiptoe Through The Tulips


This beautiful card is very special because I created it for my husband's grandmother for her 80th birthday!  She loves receiving cards so I make a special point of sending her one each month just because!  The gorgeous Tulips are a digital stamp from the Digi Doodle Shop.  This week over at the Digi Doodle Shop's Best "Anything Goes" so head on over there and enter your latest creation in this week's challenge!

My card base is a 5 3/4 x 11 1/2 piece of Basic Black cardstock folded in half.  I cut a 5 1/4 square piece of PTI White cardstock and layered it with a slightly smaller piece of Wild Wasabi Patterned Paper from the Stampin' Up Prints Pack.  The shadow layers are each 1 3/4 x 5 1/4 strips of Basic Black layered with a slightly smaller piece of Berry Sorbet embossed with the Cuttlebug Birds and Swirls Embossing Folder.  I made the bow using 5/8" White Silk Ribbon following this awesome "Single Tied Bow" tutorial from Amazing Paper Grace then pulled a separate piece of the same ribbon through the backside and wrapped it around the card base taping the ends down on the backside before attaching this entire layer to the card base.

The image was printed on PTI White using my Epson Photo Printer and colored in using copic markers.  I paper pierced around the edges using the Stampin' Up Paper Piercing Tool and Mat Pack then layered the image on to a slightly larger piece of Wild Wasabi then Basic Black cardstock before attaching to the card base using mounting tape.  To embellish the card I added a couple Kaiser Rhinestones along the edge of the image and a button threaded with DMC White in the center of my beautiful bow!

Hope you have a very special day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Tulips (Digi Doodle Shop)
  • Paper: Basic Black, Wild Wasabi, and Prints Pack (Stampin' Up), PTI White and Berry Sorbet
  • Ink: Copics R32, R35, G82
  • Other: Birds and Swirls Embossing Folder, Paper Piercing Tool and Mat Pack, 5/8" White Silk Ribbon, Button, DMC White, Kaiser Rhinestones, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape

17 comments:

Crafty Creations said...

Gorgeous!! Love the colors you used :) Great coloring!!
Maria

Vera W. Yates (Ling) said...

Beautiful card, Karen. Great layering. Well done! :)

Our Little Inspirations said...

As I said before, you have the keenest eye for color, and this card proves that! The colors and design are just dreamy! I LOVE those staggered vertical panels and how they just draw the eye in! Gorgeous!

Judy said...

Karen this card is so lovely, and I'm sure your MIL will just love it. Great color combo, and beautifully done.

Hugs
Judy

Chris said...

A beautiful job Karen! I, too, love the staggered panels and the multi-color layers!

jimlynn said...

Beautiful card Karen. She is going to love this one. I also have a special elderly lady I send a card to all the time - it just lets them know you're thinking of them. Hopefully someone will do that for us someday!
Lynn

Patty said...

Love the layering and the color combination! Beautiful card!

Monika Reeck said...

I love all your DDS flower card Karen all are with different color and sooo adorable...you are a queen on Flower card my Dear..love this one too...(oh my only with 2 copic colors you did a funtastic coloring Karen...oh dear...)

Laura said...

Karen,This is gorgeous.I love the colors you chose.

KymKreates said...

a beautiful card and for an amazing reason! How nice of you to send her cards each month!

Katja of Katzz said...

Another pretty card!!! Are these tulips from Holland???

Greetings, Katja

jo said...

So pretty! Love the flowers! ;)

Pascale said...

This is beautiful Karen. Hugs Pascale

thefrugalcrafter said...

stunning card, I love the layers and detail and the bow is perfection!

Patty (LaLatty) said...

WOW, Karen! What a beautiful card, it just pops off of the page. Fantastic colors and great layout, she's going to love this card!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

What a gorgeous card, she is going to love it! Hey, I like what you've done with your blog layout too!

dj1952 said...

Lovely card. I'm sure your grandmother really appreciates the cards.

TFS,

Debra (dj1952)

http://www.designsbydj.blogspot.com