Sunday, July 18, 2010

A HUGE Happy Birthday!


I've had this big Happy Birthday stamp for what seems like forever now and have never used it!  Mainly because I'm always making standard A2 size cards which this baby clearly doesn't fit.  So, instead of trying to use the greeting on the inside of the card I decided to make a square card featuring the seniment on the front.  Wow, was that ever a challenge for me since I rarely ever think to add sentiments on my cards.  I have to say that I love the result and will definitely be adding more sentiments on my cards, obviously not all of them this big though, LOL!!!

My card base is Basic Black and measures 5 3/4 on each side.  The rest of the card was created on a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 piece of PTI White and was attached to the Basic Black using mounting tape.  On the PTI White I layered a slightly smaller piece of Baja Breeze then Generations Patterned Paper.  The shadow layer is a 2 1/4 x 5 1/4 piece of Barely Banana cardstock finished on one side using the Eylet Border Punch.  I wrapped 5/8" White Grosgrain Ribbon around the PTI White and taped the ends down on the back side.

To make the image I first made the blue background paper using PTI White cardstock, Baja Breeze and this fun Wax Resist Background Tutorial.  I completely forgot to crumple the wax paper but as you can see the background still turned out great, LOL!!!  After making the background paper I stamped the HAPPY BIRTHDAY in Memento Tuxedo Black then die cut the sentiment using the Top Note Sizzix Die.  I cut out the sentiment along the dashed line then layered it on to the same die cut from Basic Black cardstock then attached the sentiment to card base using mounting tape.

To embellish the card I made a beautiful bow using the same White Grosgrain Ribbon and attached it using glue dots.  I added a paper flower finished with a Pearl Flower White Acrylic Embellishment.  Below the sentiment I added two large buttons threaded with DMC White.

Hope you have a fantastic day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Happy Birthday (Victorine Originals)
  • Paper: Basic Black, Baja Breeze, Barely Banana, PTI White, Generations (Momenta, A Family Affair Collection)
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Baja Breeze
  • Other: Eyelet Border Punch, 5/8" White Grosgrain Ribbon, Paper Flower, Pearl Flower White Acrylic Embellishment (Accent Creative Designs), Top Note Sizzix Die, Buttons, DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape
CHALLENGES:

17 comments:

Alissa said...

So pretty Karen. You always have the most gorgeous color combos.

Hannah said...

Your cards are so beautiful and inspiring!

Our Little Inspirations said...

I love that big honkin' sentiment! It screams Happy Birthday in a gorgeous way! Hmmm.....these colors look familiar :) I never get tired of seeing them!!

Anna said...

Very cool! Great idea to make a bigger card to use it! Thanks for sharing with us at Party Time Tuesdays.

Nancy said...

I love the design of the card!! Awesome!! Thanks for joining us at the party this week at PTT!!

gina g said...

This is lovely and the colours are fab. Thanks for joining us at Craftalicious for our challenge this week. luv gina xx

Kristie said...

Great card design, love that big stamp and how you finished off the buttons. Thanks for playing along with my Party Time Tuesdays challenge!

Laura said...

You Did a awesome job with this sentiment.I know what you mean about using sentiments.Very challenging.

cabio's craft corner said...

Simply gorgeous card with beautiful DP and the cute lil flower. Thanks for joining us at YNS challenge :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

JanJay said...

Great card, I love that the sentiment is the focus of the card

Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at Craftalicious & best of luck

Jan x

Carrie said...

what a great way to use the sentiment making it the focal point of the card. Everyone is using buttons on their cards I need to try to remember to use that embellishment

tampatha said...

Beautiful card! I love the sentiment focus! THanks for joining us this week at AiFactory. Make sure you stop by this week to check out our DT Call and Blog Hop

Paige said...

Karen, your cards are always so well planned and put together and this one is no exception! I really love your card-making style!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

You did beautiful job with this big old birthday stamp Karen! It's simply elegant!

Kiki said...

Wow, wow, wow...

This is so gorgeous. Clean and simple, but gorgeous!

Thanks for joining us at SAM this week.

Hugs, Kiki

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love this card with the main focus on the sentiment. TFS

Moshie said...

Very pretty card! Gorgeous colors! Thanks for joining us at Craftalicious.
hugs, Diana