Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Paper Piercing Tutorial


Hi everyone!  In addition to this beautiful card today I also have a paper piercing tutorial to share with all of you!  The Tulips are a digital image from the Digi Doodle Shop that I love so much I actually printed out several images to color and just need to find more time to transform them all into cards.

My Tulips card base is a half sheet of Basic Black cardstock folded in half.  Next I cut a 4 x 5 1/4 piece of PTI White and created the rest of the card on it.  On the PTI White I added three 1 1/2 x 3 3/4 strips of Yoyo Yellow cardstock.  The shadow layer is a strip of Wild Wasabi cardstock finished on both sides using the Arch Lattice Edge Punch.  I wrapped ribbon around the Wild Wasabi strip and taped the ends down on the back side before attaching to the card base.

The image was printed on PTI White using my Epson Photo Printer and colored in using copic markers.  I paper pierced around the edges (tutorial below) then layered the image on to a slightly larger piece of Basic Black cardstock before attaching to the card base using mounting tape.  To embellish the card I added a beautiful bow finished with a black button threaded with DMC White.

PAPER PIERCING TUTORIAL
Paper piercing is a method of decorating paper by inserting a needle through the paper (piercing it) to make a series of small holes that create a design or pattern. There are several paper piercing templates available depending on what design you are looking for. I mostly paper pierce around the edge of my images because I love how it softens the look. When creating landscape or wildlife scenes paper piercing gives the allusion of bringing the edge of the image in a little so the scene no longer looks like it runs off the edge of the paper.  Here is a quick tutorial on how to paper pierce around the edge of your images.

Before we get started, here is a look at the supplies you will need: a mat, paper piercing tool and paper piercing template.  In the photo below my mat and paper piercing tool are from CTMH and the paper piercing template is from Stampin' Up.


Cut your image to the finished size you want to work with leaving a little space around the edge so that you don’t paper pierce the image itself. Lay the image on the mat and place the template over the image lining up the template so that the gridlines are lined up with the edge of your cardstock. This will ensure that your pierced holes are even all the way around the image. Push the paper piercing tool into each hole in the outside row of holes around the edge of the cardstock. When you complete one side simply turn the image, line up the template again and continue until you’ve pierced holes all the way around the image.


When you are finished paper piercing the image should look like this.


Some fun variations are to pierce designs in the corners (triangles, photo corners, etc.) or to pierce two rows around the image. Wherever your creativity takes you, hope you have lots of fun!

Thanks for coming by... hope you have a great day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Tulips (Digi Doodle Shop)
  • Paper: Basic Black, Yoyo Yellow, Wild Wasabi and PTI White
  • Ink: Copics YG17, YG67, Y08, YR23
  • Other: Arch Lattice Punch, Paper Piercing Tool and Mat Pack, Ribbon, Button, DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape

11 comments:

Carrie said...

ah so that's how everyone is paper piercing, this whole time I just thought you all were winging it..lol My mom would love this card she loves yellow :)

jimlynn said...

Beautiful card and thanks so much for the tutorial! Your piercing always just looks fabulous - now I know how you do it. Mine is usually just "hit and miss"! So, I'll be trying this. Thanks.
Lynn

Paige said...

Beautiful card! I really like the clean lines of the layout you used.

Alissa said...

Thank you for posting that Karen! I didn't want to ask, but I had no idea how the heck you were doing that! :)

~Michelle~ said...

OOoh, love this! The crisp piercing and the fresh color combo...simplicity at it's best! :)

Kathy Braun and Lucky said...

Very pretty card, so clean and pretty, love the colors against the bright white.

Laura said...

love the colors and your piercing is always a perfect touch for your cards.

NancyK said...

Your card has such a great crisp, clean look to it. Love the overall design and color choice!

Cheryl said...

Is there anywhere you can find the paper piercing template and piercer locally?

jo said...

Pretty card! What a wonderful tutorial! I'm going to have to try it out!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

I've always admired your paper piercing, now I know how you get it to look so good every time ;)