Sunday, July 25, 2010

Summer By The Sea


Wow, yesterday the weather was beautiful and we had a great time at the zoo.  I love seeing all the animals and could spend hours watching the antics of some of them.  As always, I took tons of photos and don't know what I'll ever do with all of them.  It has been about a year since I've scrapbooked anything but oh well, I'm really loving cardmaking which is my first passion!

Today I have something other than a flower card to share with all of you!  I'm not sure that the sentiment I put on it really goes but I love the card none the less!  My card base is a half sheet of Always Artichoke folded in half.  Next I cut a slightly smaller piece of Bravo Burgundy and layered it with a 1 1/2 x 5 1/4 piece of sand colored cardstock by DCWV.  I wrapped white grosgrain ribbon around it to cover the seam and taped both ends down on the back side then attached it to the card base using mounting tape.

The image was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black on PTI White using the Summer By The Sea stamp set and colored in using copic markers.  I sponged Vintage Photo Distress Ink along the bottom to resemble sand (looks a little rough though) and Bordering Blue to create the sky.  I also sponged some of the ink along the edges to give them a distressed look.

Next I stamped the sentiment in Memento Tuxedo Black using the For Every Occasion stamp set.  The image was layered on to a slightly larger piece of Always Artichoke cardstock and attached to the card base using mounting tape.  To embellish the card I made a bow using the white grosgrain ribbon and added a button threaded with DMC White in the center.

Hope you have a great day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Summer By The Sea (Stampin' Up) and For Every Occasion (CTMH)
  • Paper: Always Artichoke, Bravo Burgundy, Sand (DCWV) and PTI White
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Vintage Photo Distress Ink, Bordering Blue and Copics E00, E55, E57, R89, G21, G85
  • Other: White Grosgrain Ribbon, Button, DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape
CHALLENGES:

26 comments:

Scrappy Mel said...

Very nicely sponged! Very pretty image and card all around!

jimlynn said...

Wonderful card. Love those colors too. And yes, I like the image. Lovely.
Lynn

Karen B. said...

I think that it is a lovely sentiment to go with the card. Your card is beautifully done and your coloring skills are out of this world.

Poppet said...

Beautiful card Karen, I love the way you have done the sky and sand. It has given loads of texture to the card. I think the sentiment goes perfectly with this image. If you miss someone you always image yourselves together in a happy place. Inlinkz is now on the challenge page if you would like to go back and link to the Cowgirl challenge and thank you for sharing your card with us at CSSC and we would love to see you again next week. :-) xx

Lorraine said...

This is a gorgeous card Karen i love the sand it looks amazing like a proper watercolour painting i really like what you have done with your techniques on this card and I am pleased you had a great time at the zoo.Thankyou for joining us at CSSC this week and goodluck xx

ML Design Works said...

I really love this stamp, Karen. And you made such a pretty card with it. Thanks for updating the challenge list--already planning the next card! Lisa :-)

Jovita AKA Tia Goofy said...

love the image, very pretty. Thanks for joining us at CSSC.

Alissa said...

Oh Karen this is sooo pretty. I love the sponging techniques. Gives it such texture.

Patty said...

Beautiful card! I love the sponging and I really love the color scheme.

Patty (LaLatty) said...

This is one of my favorite SU stamp sets, beautifully done. Great sponging and I think your sentiment is just right.

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Karen
A fabulous card,thankyou for joining us at CraftyCatz for this week's challenge,
Hugs Dianne xx

Carrie said...

Summer by the sea is such a classic set. One of my favs. Love the way this card turned out, your coloring is great and I think the sand looks fine.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is one of my fave summer SU sets. You did a beautiful job with it! Love the distressed look! Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!

cgl1539 said...

You did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing your creation at CSSC!

Sarah A said...

Beautiful image which you have coloured brilliantly!

Thanks for joining us over on Cowgirls Sunday Stampen Challenge

Sarah x

Deb Neerman said...

This is just fabulous!

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´

lindyloo said...

hello there what a simply beautiful card :0) thanks for joining us at ccreative cottage lindyloo

Carolina Girl said...

Love the sentiment and deep color blending. Just beautiful. I did this challenge. I really enjoyed it.

Lindsey said...

What a great card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week x

Tigger a(r)t work said...

Beautiful Card!!!
Thanks for joining us at Cowgirl's Sunday Stampen Challenge, hope to see you next week again!!!!
Hugs
Elke

Claire said...

Just beautiful a real work of art!
Thanks for joining us at CSSC and Good luck!!
Claire xx

Chrissy D said...

Wonderful card - love the colors and the meaning behind it too! Thank you for joining us in the ODBD Shining Light Challenge! We hope you will join us again next week! Have a great day!!!

Sabrina aka okimom2girlz said...

Karen, what a gorgeous card!!I absolutely love your coloring!! THanks so much for taking the time to play along in this weeks Shining the Light Challenge over at ODBD!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Sheng said...

Wowzer!!! I just love love this card. It's simple yet so beautiful.
Thanks for joining us at CSSC. Hope to see you in next weeks challenge. :)

carol said...

what a lovely adorable image, makes a lovely cute card, thanks for playing along with Crafty Catz, x carol

Angella D. Crockett said...

What a beautiful card! One of my fave SU sets!! Thanks for playing along with ODBD! God Bless!