Monday, September 20, 2010

Ghosts and Pumpkins


Card A - embossing

I love all the cards I've seen lately with sparkle and shine on them so I've been on a mission to see how I too could add sparkle and shine on my cards without using loose glitter.  The image I decided to go with is this super cute FREEBIE digital stamp from KLM Digi Stamps.  For my first attempt I went with embossing (Card A).  I rubbed the edges of the cardstock in Versamark Ink then dabbed it in black embossing powder that has some really cool glitter in it and heat set it. 

This did not go over so well... I don't mean my card but that for someone who tries so hard not to use glitter I sure made a big mess of things.  I was heat setting the edges and wanted more light so I moved under the light on my desk and WHOOSH!!!... embossing powder flew everywhere.  Yeah, like the goose I am I wasn't paying attention and aimed the heat gun right into the container of embossing powder.  I'm sure I'll be cleaning that up for weeks.  Just hoping OWH doesn't start returning all my cards for having flecks of glitter on them.

Card B - distressing and stickles

So, for my next attempt I dug out some sponges and stickles (Card B).  I distressed the edges of the cardstock first with black ink then added a layer of clear stickles.  This was a LOT less messy and super easy.  Now I just have to develop some patience to wait for all the layers to dry before assembling.  I actually love the look both techniques add to the card but wanted to share both cards with you to see what you think.  Soooo, if you have a few moments to leave a comment... I'd love to know which you prefer... Card A or Card B?

I asked my husband what he thought (not always a wise thing) and he chose Card B with the distressing and stickles so I submitted that card for this this week's Stamps R Us halloween challenge.  And since I had all my Halloween supplies out it sure didn't take very long to get sucked into making more Hallowen cards but those will have to wait for another time.

Hope you have a sparkly good day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Ghosts and Pumpkins (KLM Digi Stamps) and Boo! (A Muse Artstamps)
  • Paper: Only Orange, Classic White (Flourishes), and Cobweb Patterned Paper
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics T2, Y15, YG03, YR04, YR07, YR09
  • Other: Versamark Ink Pad, Black Embossing Powder, Sponge, Clear Stickles, Black Pearls (Kaiser) and Mounting Tape
CHALLENGES:

25 comments:

Tami said...

Definetly stickles. Way cool will have to try.

Pattie said...

Great cards and funny story - we've all had those days! Thanks for sharing with us at Paper Sundaes!

Laura said...

Hello Karen,Very cute cards! I really like the second one with the distressing and glitter.

Larisa said...

Oh, so nice colouring!! Very beautiful card!! Love this image! Sorry I have not any Halloween's stamps at me to make the nice cards with them...

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Very fun and spooky! I have been practicing with embossing powders and heat gun too!! It takes practice I burnt the paper the first time! I like them both but I really like B

Sharon Caudle said...

What an adorable card! Thanks so much for joining us at Delightful Challenges!
hugs, Sharon

Curlybear said...

Hi Karen
lovely design and colours, thanks for joining us at SCSC101: Anything goes, Good luck, Hugs Bridget x. SCSC DT

Carrie said...

LOL Karen you will be cleaning that up for weeks... love the cards though! I like both of them

Patty said...

I think they are both cute! I love to emboss & I like the look, but I always have some kind of issue when I do! I don't try it often enough.

Rachel said...

such a cute card!! thanks for joining us at Delightful Challenges this week.
hugs,
Rachel

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Karen
a fabulous card,thankyou for joining us at Delightful Challenges,
hugs Dianne xx

{Jane} said...

Fab card

Thanks for joining us on SCSC :)

Hugs Jane x
SCSC DT

Sasha Holloway said...

Your card is so cute cute cute ..

DORCAS said...

I know how it is with that embossing powder. You poor thing! Thanks too bad. But everything looks wonderful. Both of them.
Thanks for sharing!
~Dorcas

Cardmaking Galore said...

Just cute! Great halloween card

kim.mom said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! That sparkle around the edge adds so much!!! TFS with us at SMC!!!!

PinkBlingCrafter said...

Super cute card. Love the image and the coloring:)

Karen said...

Hi Karen

Great card, love the image too, thanks for joinnig us at Delightful Challenges.
xx

Tracey Feeger said...

Wonderful card. Love the image and your colouring. Thanks for joining us at Stamp Something.
mwah
Trace

Cathy said...

Fabulous Halloween card. Thank you for joining in the ABC challenge this time.
Cathy xx

Carla aka scrappypug said...

Oh both are too cute. Love the stickles and distressing too! Thanks for joining us at Fairy Fun Fridays!

Helen said...

Fab card!
Thanks for joining us at the SCSC!
Helen x

Lisa said...

So cute! Thanks for joining us at Sunday's with Crissy!

Nana said...

Fabulous card!!
Thank you for playing with "Paper Sundaes" this week!
hugs Nana

Janis said...

Boo! I love cards like this. And you added just enough web to the background. This looks great! Thanks for playing in paper with us this week at Paper Playtime! :) Janis