I love all the cards I've seen lately with sparkle and shine on them so I've been on a mission to see how I too could add sparkle and shine on my cards without using loose glitter. The image I decided to go with is this super cute FREEBIE digital stamp from KLM Digi Stamps. For my first attempt I went with embossing (Card A). I rubbed the edges of the cardstock in Versamark Ink then dabbed it in black embossing powder that has some really cool glitter in it and heat set it.
This did not go over so well... I don't mean my card but that for someone who tries so hard not to use glitter I sure made a big mess of things. I was heat setting the edges and wanted more light so I moved under the light on my desk and WHOOSH!!!... embossing powder flew everywhere. Yeah, like the goose I am I wasn't paying attention and aimed the heat gun right into the container of embossing powder. I'm sure I'll be cleaning that up for weeks. Just hoping OWH doesn't start returning all my cards for having flecks of glitter on them.
So, for my next attempt I dug out some sponges and stickles (Card B). I distressed the edges of the cardstock first with black ink then added a layer of clear stickles. This was a LOT less messy and super easy. Now I just have to develop some patience to wait for all the layers to dry before assembling. I actually love the look both techniques add to the card but wanted to share both cards with you to see what you think. Soooo, if you have a few moments to leave a comment... I'd love to know which you prefer... Card A or Card B?
I asked my husband what he thought (not always a wise thing) and he chose Card B with the distressing and stickles so I submitted that card for this this week's Stamps R Us halloween challenge. And since I had all my Halloween supplies out it sure didn't take very long to get sucked into making more Hallowen cards but those will have to wait for another time.
Hope you have a sparkly good day!
- Stamps: Ghosts and Pumpkins (KLM Digi Stamps) and Boo! (A Muse Artstamps)
- Paper: Only Orange, Classic White (Flourishes), and Cobweb Patterned Paper
- Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copics T2, Y15, YG03, YR04, YR07, YR09
- Other: Versamark Ink Pad, Black Embossing Powder, Sponge, Clear Stickles, Black Pearls (Kaiser) and Mounting Tape
- Stamps R Us - halloween
- ABC Challenge - distressing
- Paper Pretties - used pearls
- Delightful Challenges - pumpkins
- Fairy Fun Fridays - embossing
- Sew Many Cards - embossing
- The Stamp Man - distressing
- Stamp Something - digital image
- Secret Crafter - anything goes
- Aly's Sunday - sparkle and glitter
- Paper Sundaes - halloween card
- Sundays with Crissy - sparkle and shine
- Creative Card Crew - autumn or fall
- Paper Playtime - autumn