Today's card is very special because it brings together two groups that are both very dear to my heart, Operation Write Home and Stamps R Us. As most of you already know, Operation Write Home sends blank handmade greeting cards to our nation's armed forces for them to write home on as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them. I proudly support Operation Write Home because after my husband and I graduated from high school he served for four years in the army while I attended college.
Being in Minnesota while he was first in Korea then New York made it very hard to see him so we wrote to each other almost every day! For those serving overseas this is challenging as they don't have military PX stores to supply paper and pens. Although my husband is home safe and sound now knowing that there are others out there proudly serving brings back memories. As a cardmaker I'm able to support those currently serving by sending my handmade cards to Operation Write Home so they too are able to keep in touch with home.
In support of Operation Write Home a very special group of ladies I met on SCS recently started a challenge blog, Stamps R Us, and are dedicating this week's challenge to OWH in honor of all those who are serving. All you have to do is create any A2 size (4 1/4 x 5 1/2) children's birthday card with NO glitter and mail it to one of the Operation Write Home shippers then enter your card in the challenge for a chance to win some great prizes!!!
My card base is Baja Breeze layered with PTI White cardstock then Little Boy patterned paper from the Piggy Tales, Little Boy Blue Collection. The shadow layers are Close To Cocoa and So Saffron.
Since it is a little boy card I distressed the edges of the shadow layers and the image to make it look all rough and tough!!! Per my husband, no ribbon, flowers or anything cutsie is allowed on boy cards but I was able to squeak by these corduroy brads.
Hope you have a fantastic day!
- Stamps: Best Friends (Sliekje Digi Stamps) and Happy Birthday (Penny Black)
- Paper: Baja Breeze, So Saffron, Close To Cocoa, PTI White and Little Boy Patterned Paper (Piggy Tales, Little Boy Blue Collection)
- Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black and Copics E00, E11, E47, E55, E57, R30, BG72, BG75, B97, B99
- Other: Edge Distresser, Chocolate Chip Corduroy Buttons (Stampin' Up) and mounting tape
- OWH Stars and Stamps - sketch
- Stamps R Us - children's birthday card
- Creative Cottage - celebrations (birthday)
- Penny's Paper Crafty - birthday
- Stamp Insanity - birthday
- Bee Crafty - anything goes (digi image)
- Our Daily Bread Designs - corduroy brads
- Cowgirl's Sunday - anything goes
- Stamptacular Sunday - distress it
- Bunny Zoe's Crafts - vintage (distressing)
- Karber Weekly - card for a boy