Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Glorious Greenhouse


Hi everyone! It's Wednesday and time for a new challenge at The Pixie Cottage. There are two parts to the challenge and you may choose either or both to play along with. We have a fun new sketch and this week's theme is "A Time To Learn". A few of my lovely followers have commented that they'd love to learn how to stitch on their cards so I thought I'd share links to the tutorials I used when I learned how to stitch.

After listening to me talk about how much I love the look of stitching on cards my wonderful husband surprised me with a Janome Sew-Mini.  I watched these videos on Stamp TV by Gina K. several times to learn how to stitch and it ended up being so much easier than I thought. I wasn't a natural at it and actually had to watch the videos several times but am so glad I tried. Now I stitch on almost every card I make.  So if I can do it, so can you!

"A TIME TO LEARN" HOW TO STITCH
I started out with the straight stitch until I got the hang of it and have since learned how to do the zig zag stitch!  To get this stitch even on the card I've learned the trick is to start in the very corner.


Using this sketch for inspiration I created today's card highlighting the Glorious Greenhouse digital stamp by Pixie Cottage Stamps.


My card base is Always Artichoke layered with PTI White then patterned paper stitched around the edges.  Next I wrapped pretty brown lace and a strip of ribbon around the case base and taped the ends down on the back side.  The image was printed on PTI White and colored in using copic markers.  To embellish the card I added a matching bow and two dark brown buttons threaded with DMC White.

Thanks for stopping by... hope you have a purr-fect day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Glorious Greenhouse (Pixie Cottage Stamps)
  • Paper: Always Artichoke, White Cardstock (Papertrey Ink), Venetian Damask Gold Patterned Paper (Scrap-Ease)
  • Ink: Copics C1, C2, C4, C6, BV13, R43, Y08,Y18, BG93, BG96, E42, E44, E47, E33, E35, E37
  • Other: Stitching, Paper Piercing, Brown Lace, Brown Ribbon, Dark Brown Buttons (Papertrey Ink), DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape

8 comments:

Beth aka BR-T said...

Oh Karen this is gorgeous, I love the natural browns and lovely image!

jimlynn said...

Your stitching on cards is always wonderful. I'll check out that video. I just use a regular sewing machine but know I'd learn something from it.
Love this wonderful card. Lovely image too.
Lynn

Wendy said...

Awesome card. Your stitching is perfect! Gina does give wonderful tutorials, doesn't she! I usually just bring out my big old sewing machine!

Sorry I didn't get around to your blog last week!

Hugs,
Wendy

Tanya R said...

Wonderful card, love the earthy tones.
Hugs
Tanya

Sadilla said...

this is totally cute... I like so much this image... but I am so bad with digital... =((
congrats dear!!
hugs
Sadia

Davi said...

Really like the sketch you used Karen!! The dp is very pretty with the greenhouse image:)

Pat (mspfd) said...

Wow Karen, what a great image and I love how you colored it. The colors are fabulous and the sewing looks great.

Carrie said...

wonderful job with this sketch. i love all the paper piercing you do on your cards