Monday, October 17, 2011

Quirky Owl


Hi everyone! I'm really into square cards lately. I love the different shape, it mixes things up a bit and presents a new challenge for me to dream up new layouts! I have a stash of 5.5 x 5.5 envelopes on hand so I've been making 5 x 5 cards. This size card also fits perfectly in a 6 x 9 bubble envelope.

As for today's card, I was in the mood for a fall card so I printed the Quirky Owl digital stamp by Doodle Pantry.  I paired it with an autumn sentiment from the Autumn Critters digital stamp set by Clear Dollar Stamps I had sitting on my craft table.


My card base is Dark Brown layered with White Cardstock then Fall Stripe and Fall Festival Mini Dots patterned paper stitched around the edges. I wrapped Dark Brown Grosgrain Ribbon around the card and tied the ends down on the back side. The image was printed on White Cardstock and colored in using copic markers. Next I die cut and embossed the image using Standard Circles Large Nestabilities and layered it on Dark Brown die cut using the Classic Scalloped Circles Large Nestabilities.

The sentiment was printed on White Cardstock and punched out using the Word Window Punch. To embellish the card I added a red and green leaf and finished them off at the stems with a knot tied from Dark Brown Grosgrain Ribbon. I also added a Dark Brown button threaded with DMC White in each of the botton corners of the card base.

Thanks for stopping by... hope you have a purr-fect day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Quirky Owl (Doodle Pantry), Autumn Critters (Clear Dollar Stamps)
  • Paper: Dark Brown and White Cardstock (Papertrey Ink), Tim Coffey Fall Stripe Patterned Paper (K&Company), Fall Festival Mini Dots Patterned Paper (Bo-Bunny Press)
  • Ink: Copics E07, E40, E43, E44, E49, YR23, YG95, YG97
  • Other: Stitching, Standard Circles Large and Classic Scalloped Circles Large Nestabilities, Dark Brown Grosgrain Ribbon and Buttons (Papertrey Ink), Word Window Punch (Stampin' Up), Harvest Decor Leaves (Sierra Pacific Crafts), DMC White, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape
CHALLENGES:

30 comments:

Amy Johnson said...

Such a pretty fall card! I love the papers/colors and those leaves!

jimlynn said...

WOW! Just wonderful! LOVE that patterned paper with this Karen. Very pretty card.
Lynn

Patti P. said...

Karen, he looks so elegant in his rich colors. Perfect papers and the addition of the leaves is so nice.
Patti

Pat (mspfd) said...

Love how you colored quirky owl in warm rich colors. The matching papers and your design really make the image pop!

Donna said...

Karen - you did a fabulous job coloring the Quirky Owl - I love all the colors you use and they go so well with the paper. Great job!!

Sue said...

A very pretty card,I love owls and this one is very cute.
Hugs Sue

Vicki said...

Gorgeous Karen! What awesomely rich colors you used and love the square cards myself! Great coloring and coordination of colors!

HUGS!

Vicki

Elizabeth Hart said...

I love this owl and your color choices were so perfect. The leaves are really a fabulous fall touch on this card.

Sandra said...

This is lovely and those rich colours are gorgeous too!:) Sandra H

mommyof5kidz said...

Just Beautiful! I am loving that owl!!!! Thank you for playing along with us at Really Reasonable Ribbon!

Linda said...

Oh this cards is so sweet! I love the little owl! Thanks for joining us at SSDS with your lovely creation.
Hugs,
Linda
Scrapcat Cards by Linda

Karen Letchworth said...

What a darling image. You've done such a nice job with this. Please join us again, and thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us at Wags-n-Whiskers Challenge.
Blessings to you,
Karen - Design Team Member
Wags-n-Whiskers

Lorie said...

This is just lovely Karen! As always your embellies are just perfect...I do love the buttons with the bows!

Glenda Atkins said...

Great card`Karen and super layout too! The owl is really sweet, you can't help but smile when you see it!
I too love square cards, things seem to fall into place easier when the frame is square, don't know why:)

sara said...

great card love the colours and that sweet owl thanks so much for joining us at paper sundaes this week
hugs sara x

Patti J said...

Your coloring is awesome - that owl looks textured! Great card, dear friend!!!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Very cute, I like the squareness too it's a nice change of pace. The leaf embellishments are really pretty and I love the buttons too.

*Vicki* said...

Hi Karen!! That owl is really adorable and your papers are gorgeous!! Love the added leaves too!! :) TFS!

CraftyC said...

Beautiful card Karen, love the added leaves. Thanks for taking part in this weeks CES Challenge!
Clairexx

Dawn Frost said...

Great quirky owl Karen, I love how you added the leaves great dimension. Your stitching is fantastic!

Julie said...

Karen, this is adorable. I love the polka dots and the stitching and the buttons, and okay, I love it all :)

Sheryl said...

Hi Karen,
This is a gorgeous Fall card! I love the owl image and your choice of dp's. The two autumn leaves add the perfect touch!
Thank you for joining our Fussy and Fancy "Fall or Halloween" challenge!
Warm Hugs, Sheryl

Lynn said...

Hi Karen,
Love the owl, the colours and detail:)Stunning card!!
Thanks so much for joining us GingerLoft Challenges:)
Huggs
Lynn xxx

Kathy W. said...

Oh my this is too cute..love the autumn colors and those leaves are the perfect touch.

Lorianna said...

Oh WOW!!
This is so cute
Love those leaves!!!
HUGS

vickisunshine said...

This is so lovely, beautiful colours and design. Thank you for your visiting my blog and your kind comment. Hugs. Vicki x

Sharon Basel said...

Terrific card Karen. Love your warm fall colors and those wonderful papers together. The leaves are a perfect embellishment for this too.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Awesome card- I love the DSP- great embellishments!

Bonnie - Really Reasonable Ribbon said...

Great card! Thanks so much for participating in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge.

Regan said...

This is simply gorgeous! Fantastic papers in great Fall colors, and I love the leaves! Thanks for joining us at The Corrosive Challenge for "Flying Things"! :)
{hugs}
Regan