Thursday, November 10, 2011

Quirky Donkey


OMG, does this card bring back memories. I had to stop blogging and go find the theme song to the TV Series "Hee Haw" just to hear the donkey at the beginning of it, LOL!!! After finishing this card I realized the shadow layer with the punched edge looks a lot like a fence! Had to pat myself on the back for that one, LOL!!! The image and sentiment are both from the Quirky Donkey digital stamp set by Doodle Pantry.  I'm entering this card in the Paper Pretties Challenge to use "buttons".

As I'm blogging this my wonderful husband is telling me that the card reminds him of the Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue. Of course I've never heard of them and had to google it, turns out we are donors. Peaceful Valley provides a safe haven for more than one thousand domestic donkeys that have suffered abuse, neglect and abandonment. I think my wonderful husband deserves a HUGE pat on the back for that one!!!


My card base is Brown layered with White Cardstock then Olive Branch Patterned Paper. The shadow layer is Nestled Patterned Paper layered on Brown finished on both sides using the Arch Lattice Punch. I added a zig zag stitch around the card base and a straight stitch around the shadow layer.

The image and sentiment were printed on White Cardstock and the image colored in using copic markers. I distressed the edges using Vintage Photo Distress Ink and a sponge then paper pierced before layering on Brown Cardstock. To embellish the card I added a bow made from True Thyme Stitched Ribbon and two Brown Buttons threaded with DMC White.

Thanks for stopping by... hope you have a purr-fect day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Stamps: Quirky Donkey (Doodle Pantry)
  • Paper: Brown Cardstock (Bazzill), White Cardstock (Papertrey Ink), Olive Branch Patterned Paper (BasicGrey, Wassail Collection), Nestled Patterned Paper (BasicGrey, Figgy Pudding Collection)
  • Ink: Copics B0000, YG91, YG93, E40, E42, E44, E49, Colorless Blender and Vintage Photo Distress Ink
  • Other: Stitching, Paper Piercing, Arch Lattice Punch (Martha Stewart), True Thyme Stitched Ribbon (Stampin' Up), Dark Brown Buttons (Papertrey Ink), DMC White, Sponge, Glue Dots and Mounting Tape

19 comments:

SandraW said...

Gorgeous card, Karen!
Love the colours, details and the image!
Crazy but lovely donkey!

Hugs, Sandra

AllisonG said...

I love this card - there's something warm and inviting about the colors. You and your husband BOTH deserve big pats on the back! :-)

Pat (mspfd) said...

Beautiful card, Karen. Wonderful monochromatic color scheme, perfect details and design.

Helen said...

What a lovely donkey and your card is great. Regards.

Kathy W. said...

Awesome card Karen! Love the papers and your coloring is amazing! Great layout as well *Ü*

Marja's Stamp Addiction said...

Karen this card is GORGEOUS. Love it ver y much. Beautiful and lovely Stamp and combination.
Lovely greet
Marja

TuKara said...

WOW,,,Magnifique sweet donkey.!!

sue w. said...

I love this card, the colours are fab and the stitching just sets it off.
Hugs, Sue W.

Sandra said...

Wow, This is just fab:) Sandra H

Crea Astrid said...

What a lovely card with a nice stamp.

Hugs AStrid.
http://creaastrid.blogspot.com/

auntbeespickles said...

Too funny Karen, Lots of pats on the backs going on at your house! Adorable card - hey do I get a pat on the back for that? Great idea of the punch to look like a fence!
Love it!
Hugs, Sarah

Glenda Atkins said...

Love the colours and all the details you put into the card including that 'fence' :0)Beautiful job Karen.

Georgia Ehrmann said...

Beautiful card! I love the color combo and all of the wonderful embellishments...that fence idea is wonderful!
Hugs!

Elizabeth Hart said...

Loved reading your story about the donkeys!My Dad rode one named Kate when he was a boy in Missouri - the donkey was blind but trusted the little boys and took them all over the countryside.I love the texture on your card - almost looks like suede.

iza said...

LOVLY CArd:)))

Dawn Frost said...

I LOVE how you used the border punch Karen, along with the paper it looks like a fence!

Amy Johnson said...

So adorable! LOve the papers and the punch you used!

Patti P. said...

Your color palette speaks to me, as these are some of my favorite colors. Love all of the extra elements, the sewing, punching and distressing are all beautiful touches.

Donna said...

Your card is gorgeous - love the monochromatic colors. You did a great job!!