Tuesday, June 5, 2012

2013 Calendar - FRAME


Hi everyone! I don't actually have a card to share today but rather the start of a project I'm working on. Several years ago I started making calendars for the family although it has been a couple years now since I made the last one. Well, when we got together a couple weeks ago for my mother-in-laws birthday I noticed that she still has the last calendar I made on the counter and is flipping through the months as though it is current. Did I mention that the calendar is from 2010, yep! So I've decided to make her a new calender as a christmas present. I want it to be really detailed like my cards and have planned that if I get a calendar month done every two weeks I'll have the calendar done in time to wrap and put under the christmas tree.

Calendars make a really special gift for the holidays and I thought perhaps some of you would like to make one too so I put together this tutorial on how I prepped the frame and will post my calendar base, cover and months every couple weeks as I finish them to inspire you. I've been scoping out some free digital images and coloring pages to use on the calendar months and will include links to those as well. I created the calendar months (January, February, etc.) in excel so I could size them to fit the frame I chose to use. For my calendar frame I picked up a 6 inch x 4 inch bent acrylic picture frame from the local JoAnn's Craft Store. They also sell these at Michael's and Wal-mart.


Next I cut a 6 inch x 4 inch piece of white cardstock to mark where I wanted my wonderful husband to drill holes for me. I drew a line 1/2 inch down from the top and made a notch at 1 3/4 inch in from each side. Using a 1/8 inch hole punch I punched out the holes and slid the white cardstock (template) into the picture frame and taped it to the frame on the backside so it wouldn't slide around.


This is the picture frame without the white cardstock (template) and the holes drilled out. You will want to hang onto the white cardstock and use it as a template for punching holes in the calendar base, cover and months to make sure all the holes line up. To assemble everything I'm using 1 inch metal rings I picked up at Wal-mart. Sorry, I didn't think to include them in these photos but will include them when I take photos of the calendar base and cover. That's it for today... be sure to check back in a couple weeks to see the calendar base I'm working on.

Thanks for stopping by... hope you have a purr-fect day!


CREATIVE DESIGN:
  • Paper: White Cardstock
  • Other: 6 inch x 4 inch Bent Acrylic Picture Frame, Pencil, 1/8 inch Hole Punch, Drill

5 comments:

Cindy Gay said...

Lovely project!

Shirley G said...

Cool idea Karen, I can't wait to see the progress! I might have to do this also for some family members. :)

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a good idee, I'm looking forwards to see some more of this projesct!!!

Greetings
Maria

Sandra H said...

Karen l think this is lovely and what a great idea:)x

KER said...

what a wonderful project...and it will be a work of art to display too...please post as you go along